ARCHITECTURE
   

Black Mountain College Project     


Architectu
re Section

Introduction

Chronology

Black Mountain and Asheville

CAMPUSES
Blue Ridge Campus
Lake Eden Campus

Guide to the Campuses
and Maps

Curriculum

Biographies
of Architects

Architecture related publications

Section Outline


 

 
(12) Roadside



Roadside Cottage was used as a faculty residence. From 1941-49 Josef and Anni Albers and the Theodore Dreier family occupied the cottage. Both families shared a common room in the center of the ground floor and separate apartments on each end, the Dreiers on the north end and the Alberses on the south. Later Joseph and Mary Fiore and Wesley and Bea Huss and their son David lived there.

The college added three rooms and a kitchen in the attic as well as heating and insulation.

The cottage was destroyed by fire in 1953.

2007: A cabin is now located on the site of Roadside. Part of the foundation and the fireplace are still visible. The house is located on private property.|

Photographs: (left) Trude Guermonprez, courtesy Lisa Jalowetz Aronson; (right) North Carolina State Archives, Black Mountain College Papers.

INTERNAL LINKS
Plans of Roadside .
Living Room of Roadside Cottage

   

The Black Mountain College Project gratefully acknowledges a grant from the Graham Foundation
for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts for a study of architecture at Black Mountain College.