Black Mountain and Asheville
Blue Ridge Campus
Lake Eden Campus
Guide to the Campuses
Architecture related publications
(3) South Lodge
(20) South Lodge Annex, designed by H. McGuire
Wood. Constructed 1944.
South Lodge and Annex today
South Lodge was used by
Black Mountain College as the menís dormitory. When the college purchased
the property, there was a two-story central lobby. On either side of the
lobby were corridors off of which bedrooms and baths were located. Steps
on either side of the central lobby led to two large rooms in which eight
to ten students slept.
In May 1944 the central lobby was divided into two stories, providing a
central room on the second floor with space for six students.
Also in the summer of 1944, a two-story addition
designed by H. McGuire Wood was added to the south
end of south lodge. The upper story with a living room, three bedrooms,
and a bath was used by the kitchen staff whose house had burned the
previous year. The lower story had two bedrooms, a bath, and a storage
room. Due to wartime building restrictions, the college could not
construct a new building for the kitchen staff, but it could construct the
addition which was considered a renovation, not new construction.
A local firm, the Merchants Company, was hired to make the renovation to
the lobby and to construct the annex.
2007: South Lodge is named the Buckeye Tribe by Camp Rockmont. It is used
as sleeping space for campers. The annex is used for staff housing.
Photographs:South Lodge, courtesy North
Carolina State Archives, Black Mountain College Papers; annex, Felix Krowinski,
photographer, © Black Mountain College Project.