(7) Dining Hall
Dancing in the Dining Hall
Concerts in the Dining
The dining hall was located on the south side of Lake Eden. Besides
meals, the building was used for community meetings, concerts,
theatrical performances, lectures, parties and other gatherings. It
also was the college store. The
east end of the room where the fireplace was located was set apart
by a silver curtain which was a backdrop for performances and other
activities. The grand pianos behind the curtain were used both for
concerts and for practice. At the opposite end, partitions which
screened entrances to the kitchen, were used for exhibitions.
When the weather was warm, tables were moved to the porch.
In 1941 the college added a storage room and a room for processing
milk on the west end of the building. A heating system was also
2007: On the interior the shingled service area at the kitchen end
has been added, and the glass globes for lighting have been replaced
with wagon wheels.
On the exterior, the porch has been widened to twice its original
width and has been extended around the east end to provide for
wheelchair access. The millstones at the entrance were there when
the college owned the property but the flower pots have been added.
Originally, the entrance area was screened.
Photograph: North Carolina State Archives, Black Mountain College