Black Mountain and Asheville
Blue Ridge Campus
Lake Eden Campus
Guide to the Campuses
Architecture related publications
(16) BEIDLER MUSIC
In June 1945 Paul Beidler,
an architect who had been hired to teach for the summer, designed a small
music practice room which was located in the pine grove south of the
Service Building. Approval by the War Production Board was granted and
ground was broken on June 4.
The building reflected the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright in its
sculptural qualities and in its use of natural materials which blended
gracefully with the surrounding pine grove. The trapezoidal shape with
slanting glass walls was created to soften the sound of a piano in the
small building and to give an impression of greater space to the 12-foot cube. The
slanting glass walls also helped to reduce glare and reflection. The floor was concrete,
one of the few materials not restricted at the time. The side walls were masonry, and
the other two walls were of glass panes set in a wood frame. One wall was
translucent, the other transparent.
The cubicle, constructed by
Beidler and students, was completed in time for the summer session. To
celebrate its opening on July 8, Carol Brice, accompanied by Erwin Bodky,
sang Handelís Largo; and Josef Albers gave a brief address.
Although the college planned to construct four cubicles, only one was
has either and architect or a student the opportunity to combine
theory and practice of architecture so closely. Unfortunately, modern
building conditions do not permit the architect to participate in
this intimate fashion with every detail of the construction process.
Perhaps both architects and architecture suffer by their enforced
separation. The day of the master builder and his apprentice is
over. The architect and his product are today at opposite ends of
the assembly line.
building experience at Black Mountain offered the architect a
nostalgic glimpse of the old master-builder apprentice
relationship...." Paul Beidler, Design, April 1946.
The Music Cubicle with an essay by
Paul Beidler was published in the April 1946 issue of Design,
2007: The cubicle has been demolished.
Photos courtesy North Carolina State Archives, Black
Mountain College Papers.