Black Mountain and Asheville
Blue Ridge Campus
Lake Eden Campus
Guide to the Campuses
Architecture related publications
(17) SERVICE BUILDING
|A. Lawrence Kocher
Spring-summer 1941; destroyed by fire summer 1943
The Service Building was a
two-story building of wood frame construction built for the cooks and other
Robert Bliss, a student who became an architect, was in charge of
construction. Daily he met with Charlie Godfrey, the contractor in charge
of the construction of the Studies Building, to discuss the work to be
done. Construction was completed by the end of the summer.
In the summer of 1943, the building was destroyed by fire. New plans were
drawn for a one-story framework building on the original foundation with two bathrooms, six bedrooms,and a living room with a
central hall. The War Production Board, however, would not issue a permit
for construction of a new building. Approval was granted for an
South Lodge. The annex was completed in 1944. Until that time the kitchen
staff lived in Black Dwarf.
In 1945 a small one-story building for kitchen staff was constructed on
the foundation of the Service Building.
Plan for building.
2007: A private residence has been
constructed on the foundation of the original Service Building.
Photographs: Robert Bliss (with hammer).
Courtesy North Carolina State Archives, Black Mountain