Black Mountain College Project
(27) Pot Shop
Josef Albers had resisted inclusion of a ceramics program at Black Mountain, reasoning that clay was too malleable and easily manipulated for beginning students. He felt they needed materials that offered greater resistance.
When Albers left in the spring of 1949, the college invited Robert Turner,
a student at Alfred University, to come to the college to set up a
one-person pottery. Turner accepted the appointment
as Instructor in Ceramics, beginning on the fall of 1949. He designed and,
with the assistance of students, constructed a pot shop which was located
in a field between the Studies Building and Lake Eden Road.
Pot Shop showing addition of sculpture
studio and open shed, with Karen Karnes and David Weinrib.
2007: The Pot Shop was demolished by Camp Rockmont.
The Black Mountain College
Project gratefully acknowledges a grant from the Graham Foundation