Aluminaire House (1931)
A. Lawrence Kocher and Albert Frey
The Aluminaire House was designed in 1931 for the Architectural and Allied Arts exhibition at the Grand Central Palace. The exhibition was sponsored by the Architectural League of New York. The three-story, five-room house of glass and metal was designed to demonstrate the viability of low-cost houses using contemporary materials and methods of construction. It was the first all-metal and glass house in the United States. Paul Goldberger notes that it "is unquestionably one of the very first buildings in the United States designed in the modernist International style."
When the exhibition was over, the house was purchased by architect Wallace K. Harrison, dismantled, and moved to Long Island. In 1987, when the property was being sold by the then-owner and the building faced destruction, a campaign to save it was initiated by the Long Island chapter of the Americna Institute of Architecture. In was dismantled and moved to the New York Institute of Technology Central Islip campus.
The Plywood House was a six-room small house constructed of plywood, except for the roof sheathing. It was exhibited as House No. 2 at the Town of Tomorrow at the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. When the fair was over, it was purchased by William F. Leicester and reassembled on his New Jersey farm.
Photographs courtesy North Carolina State Archive, Black Mountain College Papers.